Next, I start with the legs. I was very lucky to stumble upon excellent legs for my chairs at a dollhouse shop in Sacramento. They were a tad too long, but had the makings of perfect chair legs. By cutting out a small section of the pre-made legs I took care of the length problem and also took out additional patterns in the legs that weren't true to Titanic's chair legs. Once the two useable chair leg pieces were glued together, it was eerily close to the pattern of the originals.
A few more pieces of wood and I had all the parts needed to build a chair base. I checked the dimensions for scale's sake to an original chair from Olympic's (Titanic's sister ship) dining saloon chair and it was a perfect match. Yay!
With a photo of the dining saloon in the background, some glue dries on the chair back with the base waiting in the background. The chair back's characteristic wavy curve was cut using a jeweler's saw, seen on the table in the picture. I will be using that saw for the chair arms as well.
Once the base and backrest were assembled I needed to stain the wood. After two tries I found a nice color which resembles the color on Titanic's chairs...
For awhile I was pulling my hair out trying to find some type of covering for the chairs. The originals were upholstered in leather, so that was my first choice. However the hobby stores didn't cary much leather, much less leather thin enough... so I started to look into other possibilities... vinyl, synthetic leather, I didn't know what to use. I did almost ask local book binderies if they had some bookcovering leather they could sell, and I found out about "skiver" leather which is a very thin leather used to cover desktops. After searching for some time I came upon a leather shop. After less than five minutes I found what I was looking for... thin leather with the perfect shine and to-scale texture I needed! I bought the whole hide.
So I started to cover my first chair back. This took awhile because it was my first chair and I had no idea what I was doing.
So I sat the covered chair back onto the base, and bam! Looks like a chair! The seat cushion is not upholstered and the arms are missing, but it definintely is looking like a Titanic dining saloon chair now.
At the leather shop I picked out a green dye that looks very accurate. The dark green color is exactly that as seen on the original leather upholstery. And it's SO easy to use... just brush it on.
And check this out! What a beautiful color! And the texture is perfectly to scale. I just love this color of green matched with the stained wood. These were truly beautiful chairs, and I'm very happy to reproduce them in miniature. The "seams" can still be seen where I had to cut the leather to fit the upholstery, and I very much want to make those dissapear. So I'm looking into a way to fill those hairline gaps and make the leather upholstery seamless.